Coming from a Gujarati background, I’ve always eaten any veg that is made into a curry, its quite surprising how any veg/non veg dish can be transformed into a curry! My mum was the main cook whilst my sister and I were growing up and she used to have to cook on most days two separate dishes because my dad is a vegetarian and the rest of us non-veg (we ate veg too).
Now that I am married, I wanted to start exploring different types of veg/non veg foods that are cooked in the way my husband and I like. Every family has their own way of cooking and I like to think I am starting my own.
I share with you all my version of Tindora curry, I hope you enjoy!
P.S all the dry spices you add can be added to your own taste, for example if you don’t really want too much heat you can add less or if you prefer more you can add more.
- Wash Tindora very well under cold water
- Cut the ends and into slices
- Wash and slice potatoes
- Add oil in pan on medium heat
- Once hot add cumin seeds (let them sizzle)
- Add Tindora and Potato slices
- Add salt
- Add Turmeric, Coriander - Jeera powder, Chilli powder and Garam Masala
- Mix and coat the Tindora and Potatoes
- Add a little bit of water and cover
- Let it steam for 5-7 minutes
- Add the remaining water and cover with lid
- Let it steam for another 3-4 minutes turn up the heat a little
- There should be no water left, garnish with coriander and you are ready to eat
Inspiration also comes from Kaushy Patels ‘PRASHAD AT HOME INDIAN COOKING FROM OUR VEGETARIAN KITCHEN’